The veterinary team at Countryside Veterinary Hospital is experienced and knowledgeable in exotic pet care. In addition to cats and dogs, we treat and care for many types of exotic and pocket pets including birds, rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, as well as other small, non-traditional mammal pets. As a large percentage of our patients are exotic pets, we provide many special services tailored to these unique critters including:
- Annual preventive physical examinations
- Diagnostic testing including blood work and external or fecal parasite testing
- Diets and nutritional counseling
- Rabbit, ferret, and rodent dentistry services: We have special instruments for this purpose and can use endoscopy for detailed examinations and record-keeping if necessary. We can provide incisor removal in rabbits with malocclusions that require frequent tooth trimming.
- In-house compounded medications and an available compounding pharmacy for precise dosing as well as tasty flavors to make medicating easier for both the owner and the pet.
- Surgery services: We offer routine surgeries (spaying and neutering) as well as many other surgeries often needed by our exotic patients such as abscess treatment, adrenal gland removal, mass removals, bladder surgery, and fracture repairs.
- We provide appropriate pain control tailored to each patient.
- Lupron injections for ferrets with adrenal disease where surgery is not an option